Thursday, November 19, 2009

final project note

so, i've been MIA this week (in case you were lookin) i can't really say i've had a lot going but i've had a lot goin on. after working franticly this weekend to shoot and schedule shoots for my 50 Black Women project, a conference with my instructor put a pause in my step. here's how it went down..

i go to class like i do most mondays (unless the monday night game is too awesome to miss) and begin editing images for my intimate discovery shoot (pics coming up next) which i also shot over the weekend (shout out to Ravi and Jose... and Bentley). My instructor comes over and looks over my images, gives me the blank stare, a thumbs up then walks away. (Awesome he likes them or he doesn't hate them) he doubles back (uh oh) he wants to see the images from my final project. so i immediately go into explaining why i changed my idea for the third time. he doesn't care. he just wants to see the work. i show him. blank stare. i look for the thumb, no dice. he says nothing for a second then proceeds to go in on me (nicely, i'm surprised, he's actually giving me a useful critique). without goin into it he basically told me that i've been rushing through my shoots and haven't been shooting with a purpose (not want i want to hear but i get what he's saying). he tells me my final project is a loss cause and walks away. i'm disappointed, i'm confused, i know he's right. i go back to editing the first batch of images but i'm not focused. i'm overwhelmed. a wave of emotion comes over me and i have to leave. i want to talk to my dad. i miss him. i tear up. i cry when i get in the car. i breakdown when i get home.

i spent the rest of the week reflecting. thinking about him, my photography, his photography, about his influence in my life. i wonder if he's proud of me, what he would say about my work if he was here. thinking about painting, about my intimate portraits (gotta finish those), about stuckey's art week (what am i gonna create, that's such an awesome idea, i should have thought of that), about the show in march (oops not supposed to mention that, don't wanna jinx it, that's all i'll say)

i have a lot of work to do and a new perspective on how to approach it and work through it. i'm stretching...growing and excited about the way things will be taking shape.


check out a couple of pics from the weekends 50 BW shoot after the jump.

art is love,

teri joi









No comments: